Thursday, January 19, 2012

Week One Reflections


My First Experience with the Reflective Blog
    
Hello everyone, 

       Although a little late, I'd still like to jot down my reflections on creating the first blog in my career life! To start with, the word “blog” is considered a new and old expression to me at the same time. In fact, I have gained abundant knowledge about the blog and related Netiquettes from some of my colleagues who have previously taken online courses about blogging and other topics like PBL. They have talked a lot about its efficiency and requested me several times to post comments on their students’ tasks as a guest. I frequently log into their blogs sending greetings and replies on the comments or tasks. However, this is the first time I create my own reflective blog. To me, it was like exploring a new world!
        Following the clear and detailed instructions of the handout posted on the course website, I managed to create the blog without any hindrances. All the guidelines are so lucid that I didn't seek help from any other Blog application. However, at the beginning, I had an inquiry since I was confused whether to log in using my gmail account or create a new one. Once Jodi approved it, I followed the directions until my reflective blog was created. However, I had problem adding it to the wiki. I had to refer to Jodi again for help, and I luckily discovered that it wasn't my only problem! Now my blog is added to the wiki having one welcoming comment and a simple design. I look forward to update everything in order to communicate with all the participants.
       Upon reading the article,   http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/articles/blogging-elt, I found the definition of the word blog very interesting as it combines web and log.I also liked how journal writing was developed to be online. I still remember how at the beginning of my career  I used to read my students' journals weekly, taking lots of copybooks home to be read and reflected upon. It was time consuming and demanding but very effective to create better writers of the English Language.Now with the blog, inciting students to write on a daily basis has become possible! I also consider the reasons for the usage of the blog very genuine especially the second point about peer reading and reflection. 
        After this experience, I learned that I should start blogging with my students as soon as possible in order to infuriate them to use the language in a professional way. It's an important tool that helps teachers achieve meaningful and lifelong learning for their students. Although it's my first blog, I bet it isn't going to be the last one!
Best regards,
Nihmat
   

No comments:

Post a Comment