Thursday, February 16, 2012

Week 6: Reflections on Interactive PowerPoint Presentations



Hello Jodi, Sherie and all friends, 


       When I read the topics posted on the website, it was hard for me to choose one of them since the two are quite interesting. They're intriguing, open-ended topics that could be answered with too many elaborations and after some thorough readings. However, since we have to discuss only ONE topic, I finally made up my mind upon PowerPoint presentations due to two major reasons. First, I have no experience with large classes although I believe in the importance of getting introduced to new issues in teaching such as engaging students in large classes. Besides, reading more about interactive PPT would enrich my knowledge and enhance my students' interaction in my class. 

       At first, I was surprised to know that activities such as ConcepTest, QuickWrite, Blank Slides and games could be added to the presentation, thus creating more engagement of learners  in the content of the presentation and catering to their different learning styles and proficiency of the language. Isn't it marvelous that students become more active participants during a presentations? 
  
     At last, take a look at the following images showing examples of presentations without interactive additions and share your reflections when you find the blank slide towards the end. 







         Regards, 

        Nihmat




5 comments:

  1. Hello Nihmat,

    I like your way of presenting your ideas and I like the pictures you use!! A great lady with a few words!
    Wish you all the best and good luck!

    Thank you

    Salam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard for me ,too, to choose which topic to discuss,then I opted for Engaging Student due to the fact that here,in Sudan,we really suffer from LARGE classes.However I do agree that reading about PPT would definitely enrich our knowledge and with this interactive PPT our students will be active participants rather than passive recipients.

      Delete
    2. Hi Hind,
      I totally agree with you that PPT create motivation in classes especially if they were interactive.I read your comments on engaging students in large classrooms, the issue I liked to discuss myself. However, I have no experience with large classes since the largest class I've ever taught consists of 27 students.
      Thanks for your reply and have a wonderful week.
      Regards,
      Nihmat

      Delete
  2. Dear Nihmat,

    We have large classes in India and especially our state- Andhra Pradesh.
    Each class will have 100-120 students with fixed furniture and it is a herculian task to manage them. the student centered methods like TPS, group Work etc., are really coming to my aid but I need to plan a lot to face the class.

    Then the information regarding Interactive PPT is really beneficial this week. i liked the pictures you posted and it is a strange thing for us to experience such weather. we are in a hot cauldron!! :-)

    Best,

    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vijay,
      Hope this message finds you very well.
      As I told Hind, I liked to read more about engaging students in large classes, but my lack of experience refrained me from choosing it.
      100-120 students??? Then you have a hard task, Vijay, with a class of such a huge number. Yes, you need to work hard on preparation and interactive activities that might be meaningful to them. Best of wishes that you are rewarded for you great work.
      I'm very glad to know that you liked the pictures I've chosen.
      Enjoy the hot weather as you take a look at the freezing pictures.
      Regards,
      Nihmat

      Delete