Saturday, February 25, 2012

Week 7: Reflections on One-Computer Options



Hello Jodi, Sherie and all friends, 


Like all the former weeks on this course, Week Seven was also rich with too main ideas and strategies. Towards the end of this week,  I've got to believe in one major issue: coming up with new strategies in education takes place for the sole goal: enhancing the interactivity and motivation to create a lifelong meaningful learning. The target of all this work is the learner's proper acquisition of the language, which will never take place without the aid of a creative teacher. 


During this week, I learned much about autonomy, the issue I commented upon in a former blog post, and the options of using one-computer in class. They are many purposes of the computer in class, and the links posted by the course recommend lots of the appreciative ideas that facilitate the teacher's work. According to me, I haven't used the administrative option that might include parents' letters, attendance and grade book (http://www.seirtec.org/present/onecomptr.html), but I'll consider the issue of e-mailing teachers and students via this computer.
  
Besides, I become interested as I was reading some of the comments on Nicenet thread especially the ones discussing laptops and cell phones. We all dream of teaching in a highly equipped classroom having all the facilities that could make the class more successful! However, drawbacks emerge making us reconsider using laptops or cell phones in class such as the distraction of students during class and cheating during exams. And here an important and highly debatable question suggests itself: shall we favor the usage of one-computer in class or laptops for every student? 




                                                                           OR 
Regards, 


Nihmat

11 comments:

  1. Dear Nihmat,
    I think it would be great if we had the possibility to choose one computer per class or one computer per student depending on the needs of the particular lesson.
    Don't you agree? :-)
    Ludmila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ludmila,
      I definitely agree with you. Maybe you solved the problem by bringing up this topic! It then depends on the lesson objective itself and maybe the assessment tool chosen by the teacher.
      Thanks for sharing this question with me and sorry for being late to reply.
      Best regards,
      Nihmat, Lebanon

      Delete
  2. Hi Nihmat,

    I somehow have the same feeling as you as "We all dream of teaching in a highly equipped classroom having all the facilities that could make the class more successful!"
    The drawbacks make us learn to improve its weaknesses and I believe that if we continue to dream and change the situation progressively by making small changes at a time to our lab/class, it'll be a reality one day! If we don't get to use it in the future, our next generation can.

    xx
    Nur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nur,
      I appreciate that you are proactive, ambitious and optimistic. You try to resolve some of the most difficult situations or conflicts due to your enthusiasm and will! I like this trait in your personality that would be surely transmitted to your students during your instruction.
      I advise you to follow your dreams and hope that all your dreams come true soon.
      Best regards,
      Nihmat, Lebanon

      Delete
  3. Hi Nihamt,
    you seem to be doing great work! I am still crawling like a snail with my tasks. i can't decide either on starting working on my project or weekly assignments:-). I am also interested in using tech in my class if materials are available.
    Sidi, Morocco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nihmat,

      Thanks for bringing it up here, where the idea is not lost in the stream of others no less important. I hope colleagues would come and say what they think.

      I would like to repeat what I said on the discussion thread before. I am not in favour of computer labs, because if students and teachers are using devices they are not well familiar with, the class will turn into an IT training lesson.

      However, if students all have wireless devices, then the teaching can get to the next level. This was clearly demonstrated by Hassan, and Jodi also mentioned that students' coming to class with their own laptops, e-readers, etc. will allow us work miracles.

      Earlier today I had a talk with a representative of a Turkish university. He said that in Turkey the government provides schoolchildren with free Apple e-readers. No books any longer!!!!

      We can't stop the technological progress. It would be better if we get ready.

      The issue of cheating is just an excuse. Cheating is not coming from the devices - it rests in the minds, IMHO ;-)

      Cheers,

      Val, Belarus

      Delete
    2. Hi Val,
      I'm glad with your interactive comment! Yes, we cannot stop technological progress, and we shouldn't. Our students learn in a better way upon their exposure to various activities via the computer and the Internet connection.
      I like the fact that you introduce us to the latest information of people from around the world!
      Thank you, Val, for defending your opinion in an excellent way.
      Have a very nice week and good luck on your tasks.
      Nihmat, Lebanon

      Delete
  4. Hi Nihmat,
    Nice contrast through pictures and cartoons. However, I do believe as you do. We must be a creative teacher; otherwise technology will not bring any change in our classroom.

    Arifeen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arifeen,
      It's nice having you add your opinion here on my blog page since I rarely have time to reply to all my friends' discussions on Nicenet thread.
      Have a very nice week and good luck on your tasks.
      Nihmat, Lebanon

      Delete
  5. Hello Nihmat,

    I like the pics you show in this occasion!! I agree with you!! Creativity is needed otherwise teaching will be dull and not acceptable by the students.

    Salam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Salam,
      Hope this mail finds you very well.
      I do appreciate your comments and feel glad for your high interaction on the class tasks.
      Nave a very nice week and good luck on all your tasks.
      Nihmat, Lebanon

      Delete